What my Confessions are All About

As women, our lives are full of expectations. Expectations come at us from everywhere. We are supposed to be the perfect wife, mother, friend, employee, etc, but somehow, despite our best efforts, we never make it to perfection. This blog is an attempt for me illustrate some of my imperfections, hang-ups, struggles, and hardships while still realizing that I'm only human. And that's okay.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Confession #20 -- I Procrastinate

I may not be THE QUEEN of procrastinating, but I'm pretty good at it. And this is one of those things that I've just accepted about myself. I have a slight desire to change it, but not big enough to actually do it. I just have other things to worry about right now...and always.



Some of the things I procrastinate doing:


  1. Making doctor's appointments for me and my kids. It's usually for the well child visits and the regular appointments. For some reason, I just can't pick up the phone. Whenever I think about making the appointments, I am either not by a phone or not by my calendar. Two very important things.
  2. Making Visiting Teaching appointments. Don't know why...I always like going. I probably procrastinate doing this because of some of the same reasons as the doctors appointments. I have lately started making appointments by email. I can send an email at 11pm whereas, I cannot call at 11pm. And they can respond at their leisure, too.
  3. Preparing Sharing Times. I should know better. I'm the President and therefore will teach sharing time the 1st Sunday of each month. I know this. But somehow, the first Sunday always sneaks up on me. It's always the Saturday before when I start thinking about it and realizing that it's my turn to teach the next day. Of all the things I procrastinate, this is one that I shouldn't.
  4. Packing for a trip. I love going on trips just as much as the next person. I also love coming home to a clean and organized house. This means that I spend the majority of the time before a trip cleaning and not packing. This one drives my husband crazy. He starts packing about 24 hours before he leaves on a trip. I start maybe a couple of hours before. It always reminds me of when I was in college one summer. I had the opportunity to go on a fantastic Alaskan Cruise. I had so much to do before I left (classes, my calling, cleaning, etc.) that I literally started packing 30 minutes before I left the house. I didn't forget anything then and I haven't forgotten anything since. I am TRULY okay with this procrastination.
  5. Cleaning the Bathrooms. Enough said.
  6. Going to bed. As I have said before on this blog, Peter and I go to bed way too late. This one gets procrastinated because basically, it's too much work to get ready for bed. It's too much work to get in my jammies, brush my teeth, wash my face, read scriptures, say prayers, etc. It's so much work that I put off doing it in the hopes that it becomes less work. It never does.

I've always been a procrastinator. In high school and college I was always up late the night before a big paper or project was due. There is something about a high pressure situation (like papers and projects due) that make me concentrate better. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is better work, mostly because I don't have anything to compare it to. I've never done something early. Why do today what I can put off until tomorrow?!?!

7 comments:

Jan said...

I think that alot of people feel this way. Some do work better under pressure. Oh well, as long as it gets done.

Ally said...

Ditto on the bathrooms. **sigh**

I procrastinate too. But generally, it's because when I think of something I need to do, I think of it while on my way to do something else, and I neglect to write it down for later, then I forget while getting occupied with the other things,....

It's like I need a little pad of paper and a pen attached to my stomach or something, for ease in writing things down as I think of them.

Another great post! ;)

Ashley said...

The story of my life. I think I procrasinate bedtime because I always need a few extra minutes to myself knowing that when I get up it will all be about the kids, the kids and the kids.

I came over from a few mutual blogs we both read. :0)

Heather said...

Oh yeah... the bathrooms can almost always wait!

Jen said...

I am a total procrastinator! I take forever to pack for vacations b/c I want the house clean, I go to bed WAY to late for the same reasons as you and Ashley above. I enjoyed reading this post!!! :)

Melissa said...

I too am a procrastinator. Always have been. Always will be. Don't see anything wrong with it. :)

Laurie said...

Oooh! This is a good one. I AM the Queen of procrastination. I think it honestly comes down to your last line, Why do today what I can put off until tomorrow! So, are you okay with your procrastination? I always have a lot of guilt.