
I know. Isn't it terrible?!?!
I would describe myself as having average dental habits. I brush my teeth twice a day...morning and night. I don't floss unless I'm trying to get something out from between my teeth. I don't use any kind of mouthwash. I also don't drink soft drinks or suck on hard candy.
I would also describe myself as having good genes and a fair amount of luck when it comes to my teeth. I never wore braces or retainers. I have naturally straight teeth. I think I've only had one cavity in my whole life. I have one wisdom tooth that is so far up, it will never come down and the other three just never existed, therefore, no wisdom teeth removal. I once didn't go to the dentist for 5 years (you know...after college, before I had insurance, when I was a poor newlywed, etc.) and when I finally went back, my teeth were still perfect. Not even much tartar build up.
I would also describe myself as "routine-less" in the mornings. This is the main reason why my kids don't brush their teeth. We get the important things done every day: getting dressed, eating breakfast together, and out the door with shoes and socks in tow even if they aren't actually on the feet yet. We even mostly get some of the "not-so-important" things done: making the beds, putting the pajamas away, the kitchen table cleared and wiped from any breakfast residue. These things just don't happen in any sort of predetermined order. This means that even though I have a mental list of what needs to be done, no one else knows what to do next, let alone if it is all done or not.
I can't wait for the fall. Piglet will be in kindergarten. This means that he will have to be in the same place at the same time every day. I'm really hoping this helps us have a better routine. I've tried making charts for the kids with pictures of the things that need to get done in the morning, but quite unsuccessfully. And it's not my kids' fault, either. It's totally 100% mine.
Believe it or not, I really do want to teach my kids good dental health. Gum disease is often a sign of other things. We diligently brush their teeth every night. They each get a turn and then we do it after them to make sure we get everything. Besides being a sign of good health, nasty teeth and bad breath have social consequences, too. I mean, have you ever tried to talk to someone with bad, greying teeth? It's like you can't even look at them because it's so disgusting.
Anyway, now I'm curious. How do you guys teach your kids about oral health? And really, am I like the ONLY person who doesn't floss?

I would describe myself as having average dental habits. I brush my teeth twice a day...morning and night. I don't floss unless I'm trying to get something out from between my teeth. I don't use any kind of mouthwash. I also don't drink soft drinks or suck on hard candy.
I would also describe myself as having good genes and a fair amount of luck when it comes to my teeth. I never wore braces or retainers. I have naturally straight teeth. I think I've only had one cavity in my whole life. I have one wisdom tooth that is so far up, it will never come down and the other three just never existed, therefore, no wisdom teeth removal. I once didn't go to the dentist for 5 years (you know...after college, before I had insurance, when I was a poor newlywed, etc.) and when I finally went back, my teeth were still perfect. Not even much tartar build up.
I would also describe myself as "routine-less" in the mornings. This is the main reason why my kids don't brush their teeth. We get the important things done every day: getting dressed, eating breakfast together, and out the door with shoes and socks in tow even if they aren't actually on the feet yet. We even mostly get some of the "not-so-important" things done: making the beds, putting the pajamas away, the kitchen table cleared and wiped from any breakfast residue. These things just don't happen in any sort of predetermined order. This means that even though I have a mental list of what needs to be done, no one else knows what to do next, let alone if it is all done or not.
I can't wait for the fall. Piglet will be in kindergarten. This means that he will have to be in the same place at the same time every day. I'm really hoping this helps us have a better routine. I've tried making charts for the kids with pictures of the things that need to get done in the morning, but quite unsuccessfully. And it's not my kids' fault, either. It's totally 100% mine.
Believe it or not, I really do want to teach my kids good dental health. Gum disease is often a sign of other things. We diligently brush their teeth every night. They each get a turn and then we do it after them to make sure we get everything. Besides being a sign of good health, nasty teeth and bad breath have social consequences, too. I mean, have you ever tried to talk to someone with bad, greying teeth? It's like you can't even look at them because it's so disgusting.
Anyway, now I'm curious. How do you guys teach your kids about oral health? And really, am I like the ONLY person who doesn't floss?



4 comments:
Holly, funny about your inlaws in Richland. Small world huh. Dental hygiene is a good way to save money in my opinion. The better the check up the better our check book. It is a hard thing to instill these habits, but it is a better way for even them in the long run. Good luck with that flossing.
Hopped over here from... I can't remember! But I have loved my stay on your sweet and funny blog.
We brush (or help to brush) our kids teeth at night, but we let them do it themselves in the morning. They feel like big stuff getting to do it themselves, and it's one less thing on our to-do list. They are just freshening up their mouth in the morning, anyway--☺
Oh, and don't feel alone with a whole post about poop, I had a whole one about snot the other day! ☺
You know what? Mine rarely do either...... (head in hands).....
Teeth is not something I am good at with my kids at all. In fact, today my 12 year old asked my what makes your teeth turn black. Ummm.....when was the last time you brushed? He couldn't remember. Yuck! Funny though, he's NEVER had a cavity, ever! The best invention is the cavity protecting stuff (I'm drawing a blank here)that the dentist puts on their permanent teeth. It's worked great.
Post a Comment