But because this is about cleaning, I thought I'd tell you about some of my favorite cleaners and tricks.
1. My all time favorite is any brand of disinfectant wipes. Right now I use the Clorox ones, but that's because they were on sale. Usually it's the Costco ones. I have a container of those under every sink and I use them constantly. I especially like them in the bathrooms when I'm wiping down the bathroom sink after my kids have done a whirlwind through there. I also like them in the kitchen to clean up after doing things with raw meat.

2. My next one is a great product called Bar Keeper's Friend. I have copper bottomed pots and they work great for getting rid of the discoloration that happens when you cook. They also are great for getting the burned crusty things out of the bottom of your saucepans. And it even gets out things that you think have permanately stained your counter. But be careful with that because it can take the finish off. Test it in a corner or something.
3. Number three is a laundry cleaning trick to get out the grease stains on clothing. It's just plain dishsoap. I put a bit of it on the grease stain, give it a good scrub, let it sit for about 3 minutes and then throw it in with the rest of the laundry. I also usually hang dry the things that are treated just in case. But never fear, I have used it on grease stains that have been dried in and it works for those, too.
4. This one is also a laundry trick that my RS Pres told me. It gets rid of ink from pens on clothing. Just spray a bit of hairspray on them, give them a little scrub, let it sit for about 3 mintues and then toss it in with the rest of the laundry. As with any stain, these come out better the sooner they are treated, but I've had it work with stains that were set in, too.
5. And my all time coolest one is called Mostenbocker's Lift Off. There are different numbers (1-5) that each target something different.
- Removes food, beverage and protein stains.
- Removes grease, gum, tape, and adhesives
- Removes permanent marker, pen, and ink
- Removes spray paint and grafitti
- Removes latex paint.

I've used #2 and #5 and I love them! One day I wasy painting my bedroom wall a dark blue color and I got latex paint on the carpet. And it wasn't just a little. It was a stain about a foot long. Of course I panicked! We're renting!!! I found this stain remover at Home Depot and it worked magically! There is still a little bit of blue, but if you aren't looking for it and you don't know where to look, you wouldn't find it. And it got rid of the paint so well that even the towels I used to clean it up didn't have blue left on them either! And the best part is that it advertises that it works on dried latex paint, too! I've never tried it, but I just might have to try it on a baseboard or two that the previous people got paint on!
So, what's your favorite cleaners? Has anyone tried the Scrubbing Bubbles shower cleaner? The one that is supposed to spray all of your shower every day? I've just gotta know if that one works, but I'm too cheap to buy it and try it myself!!


4 comments:
I've always been curious about that Scrubbing Bubbles thing too.
Thanks for the tips!
I'm not really a toilet person either. Cleaning the bathrooms is my least favorite chore.
I found you from Laughadaisy! I love this site. I love your cleaning tips. I use the clorox wipes on everything!!! I use soft scrub foaming cleanser to clean my sinks and faucets. I actaully use it in my toilet, and on my glass top stove, and on any hard water scum buildup that I find while I'm cleaning. Then I use windex to make it all shining when I'm done. It looks brand new! For laundry, I use Zout! It works miracles on my clothes but I'm going to try your suggestions about the ink stains. Thanks for sharing all your great cleaning tips!
OOhh...I love Zout, too! Great stuff.
It Takes Only Thirty Minutes a Day
by Barbara Stockwell
A few weeks ago I read an article about the importance of studying scriptures, so I set my alarm for thirty minutes earlier every day. Then I remembered I should write in my journal every day, so I stayed up a half-hour later each night. Then last week in Relief Society we were admonished to exercise daily to keep our bodies fit, so I got up a little earlier each day to jog.Later in the week, I read a magazine article that promised me beautiful skin in only fifteen minutes a day, and another one said that a half-hour a day of meditation could change my life. A self-help book told me I should spend at least thirty minutes a day visualizing my desires and repeating positive affirmations. I had to get up earlier to do this.Still, I was able to squeeze other activities into my already heavily scheduled day. I learned to do the pelvic tilt to relieve my lower back pain while driving to work. And I did my isometric exercises while at my desk. I cut my lunch hour in half in order to read the Ensign. In only half an hour a day I was able to finish it before the next one came . . .except for the conference issue. For that I stayed up a little at night and read, after my goal planning was done. Another women's magazine said I could give myself professional nail care in only ten minutes a day. It also suggested that a foot soak after work would do wonders to relieve tiredness. I tried to do that while I was preparing dinner, but I got so relaxed I kept dropping the carrot sticks in the gravy. Dinner would have to be delayed a little, and that would push bedtime back about a half-hour. But it was all worth it; I was becoming a new woman. I learned in a class on success that the only way to make it in life is to write a "to do" list each night and then review it every morning to set priorities for the day. It only takes a few minutes and saves a lot of time in the long run. And did you know that if you spend only an extra forty-five minutes a day on housework you never have to get bogged down in spring cleaning?It is marvelous how many things can be done in such a short time, and I would feel negligent if I said I couldn't find those few minutes. After all, is a few minutes a day for all that improvement too much to ask? I can always set the alarm a little earlier.But last night as I was setting the alarm after my prayers I realized it was time to get up and jog. Maybe I should make out a new schedule---it will only take a few minutes .
Barbara Stockwell, mother of four and a social worker, teaches Relief Society lessons in her Springfield, Oregon, ward. Ensign/July 1982.
* * *
“One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity.” ~Bruce Lee
Post a Comment