What my Confessions are All About

As women, our lives are full of expectations. Expectations come at us from everywhere. We are supposed to be the perfect wife, mother, friend, employee, etc, but somehow, despite our best efforts, we never make it to perfection. This blog is an attempt for me illustrate some of my imperfections, hang-ups, struggles, and hardships while still realizing that I'm only human. And that's okay.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Confession #23 My Family Home Evening Lessons Aren't Always Stellar

But last night's was!! In fact, it was so good, that I though I'd blog about it.

We talked about the Word of Wisdom from Doctrine and Covenants Section 89. We talked about how following the Word of Wisdom will make our bodies strong and it will make us run fast, and it will make us think clearly.

Now comes the fun part. I had spent some time before hand looking at the weekly ads that come from the grocery store. I cut out pictures of things in the ads and then glued each one to an index card. I got pictures of all kinds of things...fruits, vegetables, yogurt, cheese, milk, nuts, ice cream, chips, beer, wine, tea, coffee, etc. We had three little sack lunch bags one labeled "Yes", another labeled "No" and the third labeled "Sometimes." The kids took turns picking one of the index cards and then deciding which bag it went into. They had tons of fun and even Tigger was getting into it.

So, there you go. A great idea for your next Family Home Evening Lesson. This could also work well talking about the different food groups and teaching your family about the food pyramid! Have fun with it and let me know how it works for you.




Image taken from lds.org.

5 comments:

Jan said...

That is a terrific idea indeed. Thanks for sharing it. I think alot of us could use something like that for young ones.

Ashley said...

Perfect for my family of little ones. Thanks for the idea. I am glad you had a successful night.

Jessica said...

That sounds like I good one, I'm so using this next week! Thanks for the idea!!

Laurie said...

I'm going to try this on my big kids. I tried FHE last night and after tons of laughing, no one paying attention, me being frustrating and then skipping to treats, it ended well but no lesson. So next time well take it down to their level-preschool (Hubby included!!!)

Melissa said...

I am stealing this idea right now! What a fantastic way to teach the WofW to young kids!! Very good!!!
My kids favorite FHE was one I did about temptation. I had mouse traps all set up and each one represented a different temptation... we talked about how Satan tries to make those things look good until he gets us in his trap. I used a long stick to set off each trap... :)