
I'm not one of those people that screen every phone call I get. We are extremely poor right now while Peter is in school and therefore, no caller ID. I couldn't screen them even if I wanted to. But I have to admit, sometimes I just don't want to get off my butt to answer the phone.
Most of the time it is even someone I don't mind talking to. We have our number on the Do Not Call list and it seems to be working fairly well. Usually the people calling me are friends from the ward, family members, or my husband. All of those are fine people to talk to. It just so happens that these people have this knack for calling only a few minutes after I have sat down for the first time that day to watch The Rachael Ray show. It's one of the few shows I get to watch regularly and I guess I'm just selfish about it. I don't want to talk to anyone during that time. Tigger is down for his nap and Piglet loves watching the show just as much as I do. So often, I just don't answer the phone.
I wish that today I hadn't answered the phone. I suppose it was nothing too terrible, but it was something that I wanted to put off as long as possible. This time, it was the doctor's office calling. If you remember a previous post about all the things I hate about being pregnant, this was one of those things. The doctor's office called to remind me to do my 12 hour urine collection. I don't know how many of you have ever had to do this, but it stinks...literally. You have to collect all your urine and refrigerate it in an orange jug the size of a milk carton. First of all, the thought of having that in my refrigerator next to my food revolts me. Second of all, it is terribly embarrassing to walk into the doctor's office carrying this huge orange jug carrying all of my pee. Good grief. Let's be a bit conspicuous, shall we?!?!
If you are wondering why they do it, I'll tell you. My pregnancies are high risk because I'm extremely hypertensive during pregnancy. One of the first signs of pre-eclampsia is that your kidneys stop working. When this happens, you get proteins in your urine that aren't supposed to be there. This is why they collect it. To make sure my kidneys are working correctly. I should be grateful that modern medicine has made it possible for me to have babies because had I lived 100 years ago, or even crossed the plains, I would be dead from complications with my first.
So, now I'm off to the doctor's office to get the huge orange jug to go in my refrigerator. What fun!

P.S. I'm just glad I don't have the job of running the tests on all my urine!
Most of the time it is even someone I don't mind talking to. We have our number on the Do Not Call list and it seems to be working fairly well. Usually the people calling me are friends from the ward, family members, or my husband. All of those are fine people to talk to. It just so happens that these people have this knack for calling only a few minutes after I have sat down for the first time that day to watch The Rachael Ray show. It's one of the few shows I get to watch regularly and I guess I'm just selfish about it. I don't want to talk to anyone during that time. Tigger is down for his nap and Piglet loves watching the show just as much as I do. So often, I just don't answer the phone.
I wish that today I hadn't answered the phone. I suppose it was nothing too terrible, but it was something that I wanted to put off as long as possible. This time, it was the doctor's office calling. If you remember a previous post about all the things I hate about being pregnant, this was one of those things. The doctor's office called to remind me to do my 12 hour urine collection. I don't know how many of you have ever had to do this, but it stinks...literally. You have to collect all your urine and refrigerate it in an orange jug the size of a milk carton. First of all, the thought of having that in my refrigerator next to my food revolts me. Second of all, it is terribly embarrassing to walk into the doctor's office carrying this huge orange jug carrying all of my pee. Good grief. Let's be a bit conspicuous, shall we?!?!
If you are wondering why they do it, I'll tell you. My pregnancies are high risk because I'm extremely hypertensive during pregnancy. One of the first signs of pre-eclampsia is that your kidneys stop working. When this happens, you get proteins in your urine that aren't supposed to be there. This is why they collect it. To make sure my kidneys are working correctly. I should be grateful that modern medicine has made it possible for me to have babies because had I lived 100 years ago, or even crossed the plains, I would be dead from complications with my first.
So, now I'm off to the doctor's office to get the huge orange jug to go in my refrigerator. What fun!

P.S. I'm just glad I don't have the job of running the tests on all my urine!


3 comments:
That's hilarious!
I can't stand talking on the phone. I avoid it like the plague. Fortunately, I'm blessed with Caller ID. But even when I can see that it's someone I know, I don't always answer! Just because I really can't stand talking on the phone.
Hope your test goes well! I cringed a little thinking of a jug like that in my own fridge! (LOL) Seriously, though, I hope it goes well, not just the test, but also for the pregnancy and delivery and everything ahead of you. Best wishes to you!
I'm terrible about avoiding the phone. I like talking to people, I just don't llike interruptin what I'm doing. Sorry about the urine tests. Being pregnant is very humbling. By the time your done, you have no secrets or dignity left. I'm glad you're able to have kids though. So, is this one baby Pooh? :)
Post a Comment