What my Confessions are All About

As women, our lives are full of expectations. Expectations come at us from everywhere. We are supposed to be the perfect wife, mother, friend, employee, etc, but somehow, despite our best efforts, we never make it to perfection. This blog is an attempt for me illustrate some of my imperfections, hang-ups, struggles, and hardships while still realizing that I'm only human. And that's okay.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Confession #26 I Don't Really Do Spring Cleaning

I'm an organizing junkie. I love watching the organizing shows. I love purchasing containers of any sort. I love being able to divide things into categories...even if it is a "Miscellaneous" category. I love my label maker. I love having things color coordinated. I don't have to do this kind of stuff just in the spring, either.

I'll admit that the nicer weather gets me more motivated to get moving, but I would rather be outside than inside cleaning! I like to think that I can do my cleaning all winter. Except I don't really. There are a few things that I can keep up with really well...the kitchen, the laundry, and generally everything has it's own place and is usually in it. There are a few that I'm not so good at. These are the things that many people would consider their Spring Cleaning.

Dusting is terrible here. I can't even count the number of cobwebs that I have seen lately. The thought, "Just get a duster and get rid of it!" crosses my mind every time I see one. But do I actually go and get the duster. Nope. The duster is never close enough to me. It's always downstairs in the laundry room. And when I see a cobweb, I generally am doing something else and don't have the time to stop RIGHT NOW and get it.

Another one that is terrible here is my mini blinds. Every day when I open my blinds I notice how dusty they are. But I never manage to take the time to set a day aside and clean them. I've heard of putting them in your bathtub to clean them, but I guess I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to get them down. The ones in the kitchen right behind the sink are the worst.

The other one that I don't manage to do is to shampoo my carpets. Sure, I get out the carpet cleaner when there are obvious stains. But they never get really clean. I'm too cheap to pay for it...and good grief. I'M RENTING! (But we've lived here for 4 years and the carpets haven't been cleaned yet.)

So now I'm curious. Are you guys into Spring Cleaning? And do you really get some of the nitty gritty stuff done or is it mostly dejunking (which I do all the time)?

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Just de-junk! I feel like I clean all year long. I have started a new system where I clean in one room a day. Like Monday is kitchen so after my regular cleaning, then what's left of the day I use to do all the odd things like de-junk and organize and deep clean. I can't get it all done in one day but when something bugs me, like the blinds, I just put them on my cleaning day list. It actually seems to be working out really well.

I used to have everything more labeled and sorted, then my kids got old enough to think for themselves and now I have to ask them where things are. This is really hard on my patience because I really am a perfectionist. I have a reason for doing what I do and it makes me nutty to keep redoing it.

Ally said...

Uh, Spring Cleaning to me is the time when I send all the children outside to play with Daddy after work so I can have a moment of peace at the end of the day! hahaha :D

But I swear, I thought I was writing this post as I was reading, cuz I've been taking note of all the cobwebs all over the place, thinking I should just get up and get the duster (which is only one room away mind you, and not down the stairs!) and take care of it, but why bother?!

I would LOVE to have the carpets cleaned though. That is my one Spring Cleaning goal this year, hopefully to happen in the next few weeks. After two babies and a Winter illness season, it desperately needs it!!