What my Confessions are All About

As women, our lives are full of expectations. Expectations come at us from everywhere. We are supposed to be the perfect wife, mother, friend, employee, etc, but somehow, despite our best efforts, we never make it to perfection. This blog is an attempt for me illustrate some of my imperfections, hang-ups, struggles, and hardships while still realizing that I'm only human. And that's okay.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Confession #9 -- I Have a LOVE/HATE Relationship with Food

I LOVE cooking food.



I HATE cleaning up after making food.



I LOVE trying new foods.



I HATE how some new foods (new spices in particular) give me horrible heart burn.



I LOVE crunchy cold cereal...especially Honey Bunches of Oats.



I HATE that no matter how long I wait to put milk on my cold cereal, it always gets soggy because I'm getting stuff for the kids.



I LOVE anything with milk chocolate and peanut butter.



I HATE how the calories of milk chocolate and peanut butter add up fast.



I LOVE ice cream with loads of chunks in them. Especially Ben and Jerry's Peanut Butter Cup.



I HATE ice cream made out of berries.



I LOVE fresh spinach. I eat a lot of it.



I HATE green peas. My poor children are going to grow up not eating them at our house. I can't stand even the smell of them.



I LOVE reading recipes. I check out cookbooks from the library often.



I HATE the smell of burned popcorn.



I LOVE the smell of freshly baked bread. That's one of the reasons I make all of ours.





And that's about all I can think of to illustrate my LOVE/HATE relationship with food. I'm sure as I go along with this blog, I'll think of a few other things I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with.

4 comments:

Ice Cream said...

These are all so true for me, excpet for the soggy cereal. I have trained my children to never bug mommy when she is holding a bowl and spoon, no matter what the contents are.

Heather said...

I'm with you on all of these EXCEPT berry ice cream.

Laurie said...

I love your confession blogs! They are so great! I agree on these except I don't really like to cook. It's so much work for so little reward! But I love good homemade food! Yum! Now, I'll be noticing all the love/hate relationships that I have with food today!

molly said...

The Myth of Perfectionism
by Dr. John Lund

Unrealistic Expectations: The
Platonic Ideal- Plato did a number on us [the western civilization]. He introduced the notion of 'Dualism'- separating physical and spiritual. Polarizing and demonizing "corrupt" material from "perfect" spiritual ideals. * President Gordon B. Hinckley has said that is inherently a pessimistic doctrine and incorrect. Yet a lot of people have bought into this "platonic ideal" that if something is not absolutely "perfect" then we are not good enough. * Catholics and Jews wrestled with ‘Hellenism’, a philosophical foundation of the Greeks. Greeks worked hard to convert the Jews. They set up 10 cities east of Galilee called the Copulas and two universities. The reactionary group, the orthodox Jews in opposition to this came up with 613 commandments. Catholics have the 7 sacraments to transcend corrupt mortality into the ideal world of God. Protestants said this is a gap no man can cross. We will have to rely on grace vs. works. * The Prophet Joseph Smith revealed there is no dualism. It is a single. “As man is God once was. As God is man may become”. Even spirit is 'material', just more refined matter in nature. We are not traditional platonic Christians. * There are those in the church who still want to adhere to a platonic ideal. They set up an impossible standard that neither they nor anyone else can live up to. It makes us vulnerable. Perfectionism afflicts the church. Frustration comes from disappointment. Unrealistic ideals rob us of ability to focus..on this season of life.
***
"Let her alone. Her sins, which are many, are forgiven, becouse she loved much, and did what she could."