What my Confessions are All About

As women, our lives are full of expectations. Expectations come at us from everywhere. We are supposed to be the perfect wife, mother, friend, employee, etc, but somehow, despite our best efforts, we never make it to perfection. This blog is an attempt for me illustrate some of my imperfections, hang-ups, struggles, and hardships while still realizing that I'm only human. And that's okay.

Friday, February 15, 2008

And the Award Goes To:

I'm excited because mom2my6kids gave me my first award! I actually think it's quite an ironic award. I have NEVER considered myself a great writer. In fact, during my high school and college years, my lowest grades were always in English. I often feel like I write in circles and that I repeat myself. And I KNOW that I often write incomplete sentences.


But as soon as I figured out that I don't have to write like I'm in an English class all the time, I started getting compliments on my writing skills. It first started at work right out of college and before I was married. People at the office said they always looked forward to my emails. They asked me all the time if I had ever considered writing for a paper column or something. Well, I was flattered, but nope...that kind of think doesn't sound exciting to me. Still doesn't.


And now this great award! I'm much more comfortable with my writing style now...I still wouldn't want the pressure of producing something fun, upbeat, out of the ordinary, or politically charged every day, but I love writing stuff on the blog.



"The rules for being A Roar For Powerful Words recipient are that I share 3 writing tips and pass the award on to 3 more bloggers worthy of recognition and esteem..."


So, here are my 3 writing tips:

1. Figure out the purpose of your writing. Is it to self medicate, ponder issues, vent a bit, share something profound that you've learned, or just to be funny?

2. If your writing is for something informal (like blogs...), write like you talk...even if it's in circles.

3. Never take yourself too seriously. You may write something one day and feel completely opposite the next. That's okay. We all learn from each other.


And as far as passing this award along...I'm fairly new in the blogging world and I'm slowly building up my circle of friends. As for right now, I think most of my friends have received it lately, but I wanted to for sure pass it along to one. And that is Lizzy at Ice Cream Diary. She is a brave woman to share some of the personal struggles that she has and I admire her ability to tell the world that she wants to change things in her life. Thanks for writing.


And to the rest of you, keep writing!


3 comments:

Melissa said...

Great award! :) Congrats!

Heather said...

Wow! Awards are always fun, lucky you!

Laurie said...

I love your rules! You really are an amazing writer and it's probably because you are just yourself when you write. I love your blog! Thanks for writing your life.