What my Confessions are All About

As women, our lives are full of expectations. Expectations come at us from everywhere. We are supposed to be the perfect wife, mother, friend, employee, etc, but somehow, despite our best efforts, we never make it to perfection. This blog is an attempt for me illustrate some of my imperfections, hang-ups, struggles, and hardships while still realizing that I'm only human. And that's okay.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Confession #18 -- I'm the Second Worst Back Seat Driver

And I'm only the second worst because my kids are the first.

About a year a go when I was teaching Piglet more of his colors we looked for colors when we were driving around in the car. Red and green were the colors we found the most. He soon learned wheat red and green mean. Now he tells me at every opportunity he gets: "Stop Mom!", "Go, mom, it's green!", "Don't slow down, it's green.", "Don't hit that car, mom!", "You're too close!"

It drives me batty some times! Now Tigger has started in on me, too: "Slow down for the bumps!", "You're going too fast!" (How would he know?!?!), "Stupid driver...be nice."

That last one he learned from me. I'm not a road rage kind of gal, but I will often comment on how stupid other drivers are, because let's face it...there are stupid drivers out there.

But not me.

Okay, so maybe I have done a few dumb things in my driving career, but as mentioned before, I've never been pulled over. I've also never been in a car accident when I was driving. Because of that, I'm the safest driver I know.

Or at least that's what my control issues are telling me. The number of drivers I trust completely, I can count on one hand. My husband isn't even on that list. I'd rather drive because, we will both admit, that I am the better driver. I can't fall asleep when someone else is driving unless I'm in the back seat and can't see the road. This is because the first wreck I was in was because I was asleep in the passenger side and I woke up flying forward to the windshield because the driver fell asleep. I'm pretty sure these issues stem from me feeling like I have to be in complete control of the car to feel safe.

Because I'm the safest driver I know, I also feel like I have to tell everyone else how to be safe. I'm the worst with my husband and siblings. Sometimes, I literally have to bite my tounge to keep from saying things to him about his driving. In some ways I feel like I'm a Driver's Ed teacher every time I'm not driving. I have my foot on my imaginary brake on the passenger side and I'm constantly pointing out things that the driver might have missed...someone who MIGHT change lanes...someone who MIGHT turn without a blinker...the light that MIGHT change soon...etc.

I'm learning how to be nicer about things. My husband thinks I've come a long way since we were married 6 years ago. I think I have too. I also think that I'll come even further when Piglet and Tigger are learning how to drive. Then I might actually get a taste of my own medicine!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

My little girl is a backseat driver... if we make a right hand turn when the light is red she. freaks. out. Screams and cries about how we are going to GET HIT BY THE OTHER CARS IF WE GO THROUGH THAT RED LIGHT STOP RIGHT NOW! Yeah.

Jen said...

LOL, this is hilarious! It's good to see that other mom's are dealing with the same things with their kids as me. I too, don't feel I have road rage, but find myself saying how "stupid" some drivers are (they are!) or that they are "idiots" only to find my daughter repeating everything I say! *sigh* I wrote about this similar subject a few weeks back and almost hesitated to write it, but found that I'm not alone. Hee hee, kids are fun! Thanks for the laugh! :) It sounds like I have more adjustments to make on the matter though. . .

http://tidbitsofthetippets.blogspot.com/2008/01/should-i-be-sharing-this.html

Jan said...

My blood pressure just goes up. I just can't seem to say what I really want. My husband does that example to my daughter, so I have to try to balance out the rage. Funny stuff.

Misty said...

This family is FULL of back seat drivers - - all ages 7 and under!!

Laurie said...

I'm not a bad back seat driver unless I think we're going to wreck. Then I just scream. I'm getting better at that though cuz my husband says that is more distracting than the road and that I make him almost crash. I hate to drive with my husband though. He is a cop so he drives for a living and so when he's off work, he doesn't like to drive but he is annoying to have in the passenger seat. GRRRRR!!!! And I'm not a bad driver. I just don't think like he does when I drive. Makes for a great relaxing Sunday drive!