What my Confessions are All About

As women, our lives are full of expectations. Expectations come at us from everywhere. We are supposed to be the perfect wife, mother, friend, employee, etc, but somehow, despite our best efforts, we never make it to perfection. This blog is an attempt for me illustrate some of my imperfections, hang-ups, struggles, and hardships while still realizing that I'm only human. And that's okay.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Another LOVE/HATE Relationship

Well, I've thought about this entry for awhile. I couldn't make it into a confession that was 100% true, so I had to do it this way. But here is another one of those things that I can't decide if I love or hate it more.

I HATE reading books to my kids.

I LOVE reading books to my kids.

I HATE reading the same books over and over and over to my kids.

I LOVE that my kids want me to read books to them.

I HATE doing the "voices" while reading books to them.

I LOVE that Peter does the "voices" while reading books to them.

I HATE that I'm lacking on sleep so much that I fall asleep whenever I read books to the kids.

I LOVE that books can take us anywhere in the world we want to be.

I HATE that I always end up with elbows, knees, heads, arms, legs, etc. poking and prodding me the entire time we read books...All because they are arguing about who gets to sit where.

I LOVE that Piglet likes to get non-fiction books from the library...he knows so much!

I HATE that they want to read a lot of books when we are already late for bedtime.

I LOVE that Tigger (he's two) chooses to sleep with books instead of toys.

I HATE that I don't have enough time to read what I want to read.

I LOVE children's books...Especially the ones with fantastic illustrations.

I HATE picking up ALL the books that the kids have pulled off their bookshelf.

I LOVE when it's time to go to the library and check out new books.

I HATE it when people fold down corners of pages to mark their places.

I LOVE it when you find a new author that you like.

I HATE it when an otherwise good book ends up with a really lame ending. I just finished one of those...Talk, Talk by T.C. Boyle.

I LOVE the smell of a brand new book.

I HATE it when people spill food in a book.

I LOVE books!!


And as a little note, I got my first award from mom2my6kids and I'm so excited!! Keep a look out for the pass along!


4 comments:

Ally said...

I'm the opposite. I LOVE reading books to the children. Except, I don't usually get to do that part, because there's too many other 'mom' things to do in the evenings - trying to keep up with caring for twins. Hubby usually gets to do the reading. :(

I love, LOVE books!! Can't get enough of em, and it breaks my heart to see them disrespected. We're always trying to teach our 4-year-old how to respect books and treat them well. (sounds like a relationship, eh!?! ha, ha!)

I actually don't mind doing the voices... :D (It's the one time I can throw all my pretenses aside and be silly!)

I do hate picking them all up off the floor after the twins have ransacked the bookcase, though.

I really liked this post. :)

Jan said...

I totally relate to the madness.

Melissa said...

I like to read to my kids...most of the time. Sometimes I'm at the end of my rope though... it's all I can do to kiss them goodnight without bonking them on the head first!! I need to be better about reading to them on a consistant basis...

Laurie said...

Oooh! I have a huge love/hate relationship with books. I love to buy them, I hate to read them, I love to want to read them, I hate that I never get to read them. I love owning books, I hate having so many books. It makes no sense. I think I'll feel better if I buy another book! No I'll just feel guilt!