What my Confessions are All About

As women, our lives are full of expectations. Expectations come at us from everywhere. We are supposed to be the perfect wife, mother, friend, employee, etc, but somehow, despite our best efforts, we never make it to perfection. This blog is an attempt for me illustrate some of my imperfections, hang-ups, struggles, and hardships while still realizing that I'm only human. And that's okay.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Confession #19 I Don't Write in a Journal

This one actually makes me feel extremely guilty. I come from a family of RECORD KEEPERS. And I mean RECORD KEEPERS. My mother, not only has written her own life history, but has written one for each of her 8 children that accounts for the time until they left home...18ish. My grandmother's life history is full of lists. Lists of all of the wards she has lived in, all of the callings she has held, all of the choirs that she participated in, all of the places she has visited, and much, much more.


I have been taught from an early age that records are important things. I agree. I have learned much about relatives from reading their records. After my dad died, my aunt collected and put togther a book of memories that his 7 siblings and their parents had. It is a priceless collection. I have learned much about my great, great grandmother (who lived during polygamy) and whenever I get my girl, she will be named after her.


Even though I don't keep a journal to record my thoughts, I still have many forms of records. I label the back of ALL of my pictures so that one day I won't wonder who it is. My family exchanges emails once a week that talk about what is happening in our lives...and I print those and keep them together. I write down all the funny things that the kids say and keep them together.


With all the records that I keep, I shouldn't feel so guilty that I don't keep a daily journal. The older I get and the more I have on my plate, the more I think that writing in a journal because I feel guilty isn't the best way. It would turn into a chore rather than something I enjoy. I don't have time for more chores. So, I guess I'm just saying that I may not write in a journal, but what I'm doing right now to keep a history is just going to have to be okay for right now.


7 comments:

Ally said...

To everything there is a time, a season....

You're absolutely right - it has to come from your heart, and not from a sense of guilt. And, writing should be fun! Something to be enjoyed and relished.

I think you're doing a great job on this blog! Just do what I do and copy it over to your word processor and print it out or save it as a file.

My blog IS my journal right now!! And until I can type without my children smacking on the keyboard as a distraction, as you say, it will suffice. ;)

Great post!

Jan said...

Your doing fine. My mom is an avid journal writer, keep history etc. But she started later in life. Who needs a journal. You have a blog. You can refer from that when the time is right.

Kimber said...

Let me join in the confessions . . . blogging is my only form of written journaling right now (and the calendar that is splattered with all the places we need to be each day).

As life responsibilities change you may change how you journal as well but I wouldn't do it out of guilt.

Laurie said...

I have boxes full of unmarked pictures, I have baby book for each of my children that are completely empty, and I still have the same journal I got when I turned eight and it's only got a few pages written on. To me, blogging is the best invention ever because I am now begining to write things down. My problem is, I don't like to go back and read my emotions. I don't mind facts, but I think I'm kind of react strangely to situations and I don't like to read that. My kids enjoy reading my blog now also though because it reminds them of things they have forgotten so I'm slowly realizing the importance of record keeping. I'm just a really slow learner!

Melissa said...

I'm in the "blogging is my journal" corner. I just can't seem to sit down and do it... too much laundry. Maybe if we lived in a nudist colony. THEN I'd have time to write in a journal. Till then, I think I'll just keep blogging. ;)

Jessica said...

I'm the same way. I will buy all these pretty journals, thinking this time I WILL DO IT! But after 3-7 days that's it for another year! I'm all for blogging being a journal, I think I will even have mine printed!

Misty said...

I would count this blog as a journal. Did you know that you can actually have your blog published into a book? Either that or print out each of your entries... you're doing more then you think you are!